Go Gators! myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics 2007 National Champs x 2

Sunday, August 27, 2006

“In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart”~ The Diary of Anne Frank, 1959.


Heidi sent me these pictures of some of the Afghan children she has met recently. Most of the time, when the soldiers meet up with the children, they are prepared with Humanitarian Aid (HA) to distribute~ school supplies, toys, candy, food and medical treatment.

Even with that in mind, it touches my heart the children are smiling in so few of the pictures.

What must life really be like for them?

Honestly, I don't know what to say about this.

Most of these children have never known life in a time of peace.

And then I start to wonder if it is truly better for them since the United States military came to their country.

I must keep telling myself it is better, because the sacrifice has been far too great if it's not. Especially for those families who have lost loved ones fighting in Afghanistan and in the other countries in the Middle East.

But our family has also made a sacrifice. Not having Heidi here with us is more than I can stand some days and I look forward to seeing her again very soon. It is interesting how other things don't seem so important to me now. Puts things into perspective, you might say.

Heidi leaves this Thursday for a two week mission she can't even discuss with me. Part of the latest phase of Operation Mountain Thrust.

Please remember her and the children of Afghanistan in your prayers.

For more pictures of the children of Afghanistan, see Scott Kesterson's blog Afghanistan. Scott is a reporter for KGW in Oregon and a soldier embedded with the Army in Afghanistan. He writes about "seeing the elephant".

Photo by Scott Kesterson.

No comments: